Apply online now!
Application Deadline is February 1st, 2019
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) is offering four positions at its Aquarium during the 2019 summer. Interns are immersed in all aspects of operating a high energy and very popular public aquarium and its marine science programs. The internship gives interns experience leading programs for visitors of all ages, caring for marine fish and crustaceans, and collecting species through snorkeling, wading, and diving.
The ideal candidates have interest and experience with marine biology and environmental education. These internships offer an absolutely unique work opportunity for students interested in aquariums and marine science education.
Nantucket Island is a resort community that swells to over 60,000 people in the summer. There are 50 miles of beaches and over half the land area is conservation land. The mission of the MMA is to inspire people to experience Nantucket’s land, sea and sky. Programs and facilities focus on environmental education, ecological research, astronomy, and historic preservation. The Aquarium is the most visited of all the facilities.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Available to work a flexible schedule: hours of operation are from 8:30 AM to 5 PM Monday – Saturday with evening and Sunday opportunities possible. We request all interns keep their schedule open from 8 am to 6 pm each day to get the full internship experience.
- Feed and care for display animals (up to 90 species of fish, mollusks, and arthropods)
- Interact with visitors in an engaging manner during beach field trips and aquarium tours.
- Co-lead marine ecology field trips and beach combing field trips several times per week
- Travel around the island to collect species for the aquarium
- Engage in other MMA activities (astronomy, research, Nantucket history) and special events
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- Educational background in marine biology or related field with at least two (2) years of college experience
- Enthusiasm for teaching science
- Interest and experience in marine biology and outdoor education.
- Experience working and interacting with the public, both adults and children
- Comfortable speaking to groups of people, willingness to learn outdoor education skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and with a team.
- Familiarity with New England marine ecosystems.
- Ability to plan ahead, organize and prioritize with an attention to detail.
- Clear communicator both verbally and written.
- Teamwork and community leadership.
- Comfortable working in waders and capable of lifting up to 40 pounds.
Internship compensation is $3,000.00 and the position includes housing (housing on Nantucket can be at least $1000 a month for a room). This position is scheduled from 27 May to 24 August 2019, with preference given to candidates who can work through August 31, 2019. There is a required orientation and training from 27 May to 2 June 2018. Paid Internship extension is possible through 21 Sept 2019. Interns are responsible for becoming CPR and First Aid trained but the MMA will reimburse the cost of the training course up to $50.
Inquiries may be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 508-228-1031. For questions, call 508- 228-9198.
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.