Apply now! Deadline March 15th, 2021
2021 Application Form
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) offers high school internships to excellent candidates who wish to assist in the daily operations at the Maria Mitchell Aquarium or Natural Science Museum. Interns are immersed in most aspects of operating a high energy and very popular public Aquarium or Natural Science Museum. The internship gives interns experience communicating to visitors of all ages, caring for marine, freshwater, and terrestrial animals.
The ideal candidates have interest and experience with biology and environmental education. These internships offer an absolutely unique work opportunity for students interested in biology and natural science education.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Caring for live animals in the Aquarium and Museum
- Cleaning equipment
- Interact in a professional manner with visitors in an engaging manner during field trips, feeding programs and aquarium/museum tours.
- Helping to maintain facilities and grounds
- Learn the names and life histories of all species on display
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- Enthusiasm for teaching science
- Interest and experience in biology and outdoor education.
- Experience working and interacting with the public, both adults and children
First consideration will be given to applicants with 2+ years of volunteer experience at MMA and who are at least 16 years old by June 4th, 2020. Prior performance as a volunteer or intern will be taken into consideration during the application review.
High School interns under the age of 18 are required to provide MMA with a Youth Work Permit (https://www.mass.gov/service-details/youth-employment-permit-information) prior to the first day of the internship.
- Comfortable speaking to groups of people, willingness to learn outdoor education skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and with a team.
- Familiarity with New England marine and terrestrial ecosystems.
- Ability to plan ahead, organize and prioritize with attention to detail.
- Clear communicator both verbally and written.
- Teamwork and community leadership.
- Comfortable working in waders and capable of lifting up to 40 pounds (e.g. a full 5-gallon bucket).
High School Interns are paid $25 per ~6 hour day and can schedule to work 13 days throughout the summer (about two days a week for six weeks). We welcome help above and beyond that and can work with you to schedule volunteer shifts. Housing on Nantucket is not provided to high school interns or volunteers.
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.