The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA), a science and history-based nonprofit education, preservation, and research institution on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts is offering a summer internship in marketing and development. The intern selected for this position will work closely with the MMA full-time development and marketing departments to carry out strategic marketing/public relations initiatives to build participation in and support for MMA’s programs and special events. This is an excellent learning opportunity for a student seeking to build professional expertise in both strategic and hands-on marketing and development.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Assisting with updating, distribution and placement of advertising, collateral materials, bulletin boards, press releases, website, social media, and other marketing communications tools.
- Photographing a variety of events including, Discovery Classes, special lectures and other events as needed.
- Preparing email and written communications about MMA’s plans and programs.
- Assisting in event planning and implementation for activities surrounding annual special events/fundraisers.
- Drafting and designing informational materials and displays for development special events.
- Assisting with promotion of MMA at ongoing events and programs such as stargazing nights, marine walks, drop off-pick up at Summer Discovery site, weekly Farmer’s Market programs offered by MMA.
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- A strong interest in marketing and development within a nonprofit setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a busy environment.
- Experience with many forms of social media and with e-marketing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Photoshop, and Excel; experience with photography is also a plus.
- At least two years of college, or relevant work experience.
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively in a team setting, adapt to change and take supervisory direction.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student considering a career in marketing, public relations and/or development. The intern selected for this position will be exposed to many areas of this dynamic organization and will participate fully in our busy summer program. The Maria Mitchell Association is an exciting place to work, drawing students, interns, and employees from many disciplines and from all across the country.
This internship pays $2,700.00, includes housing and runs from early June 2014 through August 2014. The Association can work with field work or career development offices for students seeking academic credit for the internship.
To apply, please send resume, letter of interest, and the names and contact information for three references by February 15, 2014 to Janet E. Schulte, Executive Director, Maria Mitchell Association, 4 Vestal Street, Nantucket, MA 02554. Materials or inquiries may also be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax at (508) 228-1031. Please call (508) 228-9198 with questions.
The Maria Mitchell Association is an equal opportunity employer.