The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association is a private non-profit organization located on the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts. The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) was founded in 1902 to preserve the legacy of Nantucket native astronomer, naturalist, librarian, and, above all, educator, Maria Mitchell. After she discovered a comet in 1847, Mitchell’s international fame led to many achievements and awards, including an appointment as the first American Professor of Astronomy at Vassar College. Maria Mitchell believed in “learning by doing” and today that philosophy is reflected in MMA’s mission statement, programs, research projects, and other activities.
The Maria Mitchell Association operates two observatories, a natural science museum, an aquarium, and preserves the historic birthplace of Maria Mitchell. A wide variety of science and history-related programming is offered throughout the year for people of all ages.
About the Position:
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA), a science and history-based nonprofit education, preservation, and research institution on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts is offering a summer internship in marketing and development. The intern selected for this position will work closely with the Administration, Development, and Communications departments to carry out strategic marketing/public relations initiatives to build participation in and support for MMA’s programs and special events. The intern will also be responsible for camp photography, gift shop presentation, and basic administrative tasks. This is an excellent learning opportunity for a student seeking to build professional expertise in both strategic and hands-on marketing and development.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Assisting with updating, distribution, and placement of advertising, collateral materials, bulletin boards, press releases, website, social media, and other marketing communication tools.
- Photographing a variety of events including, Discovery Classes, special lectures, and other events as needed.
- Preparing email and written communications about MMA’s plans and programs.
- Assisting with design of marketing materials, including social media.
- Assisting in event planning and implementation for activities surrounding annual special events/fundraisers.
- Drafting and designing informational materials and displays for development special events.
- Researching grant opportunities and funders’ giving potential.
- Customer support
- Answering the phone
- Assisting patrons with program and camp registrations through DoubleKnot.
- Assisting in marketing mailings and thank you notes.
This internship pays $3,000.00, includes dormitory-style housing if required, and runs from May 28, 2017 through August 24, 2017. The MMA can work with field work or career development offices for students seeking academic credit for the internship.
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- A strong interest in marketing and development within a non-profit setting.
- Experience with many forms of social media and with e-marketing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Photoshop, and Excel. Proficiency in Adobe products a plus. Experience with digital photography.
- An independent worker who can take initiative.
- At least two years of college or relevant work experience, retail is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a busy environment.
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively in a team setting, adapt to change, and take supervisory direction.
- Current driver’s license, strong driving record, and willingness to drive company car courteously on the island.
- Evening and weekend hours will be necessary on occasion. General Schedule 8:00 – 4:00.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student considering a career in marketing, public relations, and/or development. The intern selected for this position will be exposed to many areas of this dynamic organization and will participate fully in our busy summer program. The Maria Mitchell Association is an exciting place to work, drawing students, interns, and employees from many disciplines and from all across the country.
To apply, please send the application with your resume, letter of interest, and the names and contact information for three references to Shelley Dresser, Associate Director of Development and Special Events, Maria Mitchell Association, 4 Vestal Street, Nantucket, MA 02554. Materials or inquiries may also be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax at (508) 228-1031. Please call (508) 228-9198 with questions.
The Maria Mitchell Association is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLICATION DEADLINE FEBRUARY 15th