The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA), a science and history-based nonprofit education, preservation, and research institution on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts is offering a summer internship in marketing and retail merchandising. The intern selected for this position will work closely with the MMA full-time development and marketing departments to manage MMA gift stores at two locations—the Natural Science Museum and the Aquarium—and to carry out strategic marketing/public relations initiatives to build participation in and support for MMA’s summer programs. This is an excellent learning opportunity for a student seeking to build professional expertise in both strategic and hands-on marketing and retail.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Producing daily sales and inventory records and assisting with financial reporting to MMA financial administrator, utilizing computerized POS systems at both gift store locations.
- Providing general information to store visitors and museum goers about MMA programs and activities.
- Creating up-to-date labels and store signs to promote products and programs.
- Using product placements and promotions to maximize sales within both gift shops.
- Assisting with updating, distribution and placement of advertising, collateral materials, bulletin boards, press releases, website, e-mail communiqués, social media, and other marketing communications tools.
- Assisting in event planning and implementation for activities surrounding annual special events/fundraisers.
- Photographing a variety of events including, Discovery Classes, special lectures and other events as needed.
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- A strong interest in marketing and retail within a nonprofit setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a busy environment.
- Ability to sell in a retail setting and exhibit positive customer relations.
- Experience with many forms of social media and with e-marketing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and Excel; ability to learn to operate POS software for gift store experience with photography is also a plus.
- At least two years of college, or relevant work experience.
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively in a team setting, adapt to change and take supervisory direction.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student considering a career in marketing, public relations and/or retail merchandising. The intern selected for this position will be exposed to many areas of this dynamic organization and will participate fully in our busy summer program. The Maria Mitchell Association is an exciting place to work, drawing students, interns, and employees from many disciplines and from all across the country.
This internship pays $1,800.00, includes housing and runs from early June 2013 through August 2013. The Association can work with field work or career development offices for students seeking academic credit for the internship.
To apply, please send resume, letter of interest and the names and contact information for three references by February 15, 2013 to Janet E. Schulte, Executive Director, Maria Mitchell Association, 4 Vestal Street, Nantucket, MA 02554. Materials or inquiries may also be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax at (508) 228-1031. Please call (508) 228-9198 with questions.
The Maria Mitchell Association is an equal opportunity employer.