If you have completed the Naturalist Leadership Program or are a high school or college student, please email Dr. Emily Goldstein Murphy for the volunteering application. Spaces at the Aquarium and Museum are limited, but we do our best to accommodate everyone.
If you are younger than 16, we encourage you to sign up for our Discovery Camp to gain the skills you will need as a volunteer. Those who are 13-16 can take the week long Naturalist Leadership Program to become eligible to volunteer.
In a typical year, over 50 volunteers contribute over 1,000 hours of their time to help the Maria Mitchell Association run its programs, museums, and research. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your area(s) of interest and desired time commitment.
Library Science Volunteer
- Work with MMA’s knowledgeable Deputy Director and Curator, Jascin Leonardo Finger, on processing the periodical collection. Some of these journals have been deaccessioned and will be moving to other libraries across the country. Nantucket and MMA related journals/articles will remain at the MMA. This work includes packing and shipping and is quite physical, requiring a strong back and moving heavy boxes.
- Are you a skilled photographer dying to make use of all of your cameras and equipment? We need you to photograph camp sessions and other education programs. You must be willing to get CORI/SORI checked.
- Do you love meeting people and sharing information? We are looking for docents that would enjoy setting up a table in front of the Handlebar Café with science facts, our traveling aquarium, or our solar telescope (depending on your interest and knowledge). Additionally, you can promote all of the amazing educational programs that MMA offers throughout the summer. Maybe 1/2 day per week?
- Do you have a passion for writing human interest stories that involve history and nature for a weekly paper or newsletter? Please let us know!
- If you enjoy research, we need a sleuth to investigate corporate foundations and other foundations that support astronomy, aquariums, museums, and environmental education on Nantucket.
- If you like meeting people and enjoy Natural History, then this front-of-the-house museum position is for you. MMA would appreciate a volunteer who is willing to take admissions, help with gift shop sales, and/or do museum tours. (Summer only)
- This may sound fishy, but we need help at the Aquarium. For those interested in taking admissions and assisting with gift shop sales. (Summer only)
- Are you a botanist or knowledgeable gardener? If yes, please help MMA map and identify native species in the Hinchman House Museum garden. Plan other plantings of native species selected for biodiversity and insect-use value. Collect cuttings of native plants for display in the Museum during summer. Obtain permissions from landowners before collecting. Replace as needed.
- Docent needed for Vestal Street Observatory tours. Work with one of the wonderful MMA-REU astronomy interns and learn more about the Vestal Street Observatory as you assist with the guided tour and help visitors look through the solar telescope (Summer only, Mon. – Fri. at 2pm).
- Assistant cashier for Open Nights at Loines Observatory. There is nothing like experiencing Nantucket’s dark skies while welcoming visitors to Open Night and helping to collect admission fees. Your help is needed on Monday and Wednesday evenings (Summer only, 8:30pm – 10:30pm).
- Do you enjoy office work; especially filing and interacting with the public as you greet visitors, answer phones, and assist with program registrations? Let us know when you are available.