The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) offers volunteer placements to those who wish to assist in the daily operations at the Maria Mitchell Aquarium and Natural Science Museum. Volunteers are immersed in many aspects of operating a high energy and very popular public Aquarium and Natural Science Museum.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Caring for live animals in the Aquarium and Museum
- Cleaning equipment
- Interact in a professional manner with visitors in an engaging manner during field trips, feeding programs and aquarium/museum tours.
- Helping to maintain facilities and grounds
- Learn the names and life histories of all species on display
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- Enthusiasm for learning about Nantucket ecosystems and teaching science
- Interest in biology and outdoor education.
- Wish to gain experience working and interacting with the public, both adults and children
New summer volunteers must be at least 14 years old at the time they start volunteering. New volunteers under 17 years old must have completed at least one session of the Naturalist Leadership Program to gain familiarity with our sites and safety practices. Volunteer shifts are scheduled in advance with the Jack Dubinsky.
Skills you will build as a volunteer
- Comfortable speaking to groups of people, willingness to learn outdoor education skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and with a team.
- Familiarity with New England marine and terrestrial ecosystems.
- Ability to plan ahead, organize and prioritize with attention to detail.
- Clear communicator both verbally and written.
- Teamwork and community leadership.
- Comfortable working in waders and capable of lifting up to 40 pounds (e.g. a full 5-gallon bucket).
This year, the Maria Mitchell Association is using Volgistics to manage volunteers. New and returning volunteers: fill out the Volgistics application using the link below:
After the volunteer is accepted, we will request a medical release via email. Inquiries may be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, call 508- 228-9198.
Access your schedule using the following link: https://www.volgistics.com/ex2/vicnet.dll/?from=419150