Applications due February 15, 2019
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association is a private non-profit organization located on the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts. The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) was founded in 1902 to preserve the legacy of Nantucket native astronomer, naturalist, librarian, and, above all, educator, Maria Mitchell. After she discovered a comet in 1847, Mitchell’s international fame led to many achievements and awards, including an appointment as the first American Professor of Astronomy at Vassar College. Maria Mitchell believed in “learning by doing” and today that philosophy is reflected in MMA’s mission statement, programs, research projects, and other activities.
The Maria Mitchell Association operates two observatories, a natural science museum, an aquarium, and preserves the historic birthplace of Maria Mitchell. A wide variety of science and history-related programming is offered throughout the year for people of all ages.
About the Position:
Seeking an intern with an interest in marketing and performance science.
The MMA’s intern scientist will be responsible for the pop-up science program. The intern will do research and further develop the pop-up science program and experiments. The intern will arrive on a bike with an attached attractive branded cart in which all the components of the pop-up science are contained within. The cart may “pop up” at the Atheneum, Handlebar Cafe, Haul Over, the MMA Aquarium, or a downtown park. The programs will be held roughly four to five times a week, weather permitting, and will include, for example, animals from the aquarium and/or the MMA collections, presentations with acid and base testing and art, constructing three-dimensional bubbles, magnetic car races, and more. A card with experiments that can be done at home will be distributed at the pop-up science cart. During the presentations and hands-on education portions of the program, the MMA will also promote the historic Maria Mitchell downtown self-guided walking, and will talk about ocean acidification and plastics in the ocean. The pop-up science intern and staff of the Maria Mitchell Association will also talk about the collaboration between the Town of Nantucket, and ReMain to eliminate the use of plastic straws on the island. The MMA will give small prizes as a reward for engagement. Along with inspiring an interest in science, the intern will become ambassadors for the downtown and all that it has to offer. The intern must be comfortable sharing information with children and adults. A person that is confident and enthusiastic is preferred.
Additionally, the intern will help develop signage for the upcoming science playground. Knowledge of physics and biology is a plus.
Responsibilities will also include marketing and development:
- Assisting with updating, distribution, and placement of advertising, collateral materials, bulletin boards, press releases, website, social media, and other marketing communication tools.
- Photographing a variety of events including, Discovery Classes, special lectures, and other events as needed.
- Preparing email and written communications about MMA’s plans and programs.
- Assisting with design of marketing materials, including social media.
- Assisting in event planning and implementation for activities surrounding annual special events/fundraisers.
- Drafting and designing informational materials and displays for development special events.
- Researching grant opportunities and funders’ giving potential.
- Customer support
- Answering the phone
- Assisting patrons with program and camp registrations through DoubleKnot.
- Assisting in marketing mailings and thank you notes.
This internship pays $3,000.00, includes dormitory-style housing if required, and runs from May 28, 2019 through August 23, 2019. The MMA can work with field work or career development offices for students seeking academic credit for the internship.
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- A strong interest in marketing and development within a non-profit setting.
- An interest in science education.
- A background working with children.
- Experience with many forms of social media and with e-marketing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Photoshop, and Excel. Proficiency in Adobe products a plus. Experience with digital photography.
- An independent worker who can take initiative.
- At least two years of college or relevant work experience, retail is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a busy environment.
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively in a team setting, adapt to change, and take supervisory direction.
- Current driver’s license, strong driving record, and willingness to drive company car courteously on the island.
- Evening and weekend hours will be necessary on occasion. General Schedule 8:00 – 4:00.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student considering a career in science education, marketing, public relations, and/or development. The intern selected for this position will be exposed to many areas of this dynamic organization and will participate fully in our busy summer program. The Maria Mitchell Association is an exciting place to work, drawing students, interns, and employees from many disciplines and from all across the country.
To apply, please send the application with your resume, letter of interest, and the names and contact information for three references to Shelley Dresser, Associate Director of Development and Special Events, Maria Mitchell Association, 4 Vestal Street, Nantucket, MA 02554. Materials or inquiries may also be sent by e-mail to email@example.com, or by fax at (508) 228-1031. Please call (508) 228-9198 with questions.
The Maria Mitchell Association is an equal opportunity employer.