Application Period for 2020 Now Open!
Deadline: Feb 15, 2020 but, only open until filled
Position filled. No longer accepting applications
Application Deadline is February 15, 2020, 11:59 PM.
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) is offering one Natural Science Museum/Research Manager Position. This person will learn to operate a small science museum, care for biological collections, assist with educational programming and animal care, help organize museum volunteers, and will learn about the plants, animals, ecosystems and geology of Nantucket Island. This position is a unique work opportunity for students or recent graduates who are looking for experience in a museum setting, like to work with diverse ages, are passionate about environmental/STEM education, and want to get some field research experience helping with our American Burying Beetle reintroduction efforts.
Through this position you will also have the opportunity to participate in campus wide activities with all interns and seasonal staff including cook outs, pizza parties, ice skating, movie nights, and more.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Actively participate in the daily operations at the Natural Science Museum including admissions, guided tours, public programs, maintenance of the facilities and grounds, and gift shop sales.
- Schedule volunteers and tasks for them to complete
- Assist animal caregiver as needed
- Design new exhibits or improve on current exhibits
- Develop weekly/daily spotlight programs that engage visitors
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Education to determine programmatic and facility needs
- Help oversee the two education interns that will cycle through the museum each week
- Assist with other tasks as needed by the organization such as campus clean ups, dump runs, animal collection, biological collection management, etc.
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- Educational background in biology/ecology or related field with at least two (2) years of college experience.
- Experience working or volunteering in a museum setting (preferred)
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Experience leading programs for both children and adults
- Comfortable with non-venomous live reptiles, amphibians, fish, and insects.
- CPR and First Aid Certified or willing to become certified before you arrive. We will reimburse your certification up to $50
- Comfortable working both indoors and outside in inclement weather
- Current driving license with at least two years of driving experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and with a team
- Able to work in a flexible and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to plan ahead, organize and prioritize with attention to detail.
- Clear communication both verbally and written.
May 18 – August 29, 2020
Paid hourly: $12.75/hour
You are expected to work 35-40 hours per week including some early mornings, evenings and weekends.
Flexible schedule to accommodate any early, late or weekend work so you don’t go over 40 hours. Options to extend your time here will be available.
Your schedule will be flexible Interns are responsible for becoming CPR and First Aid trained but the MMA will reimburse the cost of the training course up to $50.
Reduce cost dorm housing available for $100/week
Email your cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references or letters of recommendation (or combination of both) as a single PDF to:
Kim Botelho, Director of Education: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions, call 508- 228-9198 ext.105.
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.