Now accepting 2017 applications
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) is offering two museum internships through its Natural Science Museum during the 2017 summer. The interns will gain valuable experience operating a small science museum, caring for biological collections, collecting data and organizing logistics for several research projects, assisting with educational programming, and learning about the plants, animals, birds and geology of Nantucket Island. This internship is a unique work opportunity for students who are looking for experience with museum collections, biological field research and environmental education.
The ideal candidates have interest or experience with entomology, ornithology, or botany and experience with biological specimens is a plus but not required.
Nantucket Island is a resort community that swells to 60,000 people in the summer. There are 50 miles of beaches and over half the land area is conservation land. The mission of the MMA is to help people experience Nantucket’s land, sea and sky. Programs and facilities focus on environmental education, ecological research, astronomy, and historic preservation.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Available to work a flexible schedule: hours of operation are from 8:30 AM to 5 PM Monday – Saturday with evening and Sunday opportunities possible. Research projects can require very early hours some days. We request all interns keep their schedule open from 8 am to 6 pm each day to get the full internship experience.
- Actively participate in the daily operations at the Natural Science Museum for at least 20 hours each week, including animal care, leading guided tours of the facility, public programs, exhibit preparation, maintenance of the facilities and grounds, and gift shop sales.
- Carry out field work for or work on the following research projects: on-going American burying beetle reintroduction, snake biodiversity, invertebrate biodiversity, and plant specimen preparation.
- Prepare scientific specimens and assist in the management of the biological collections.
- Assist with insect walks, nature walks, and bird walks offered by the MMA for children and adults.
- Engage in other MMA activities (astronomy, field trips, Nantucket history) and special events
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- Educational background in biology/ecology or related field with at least two (2) years of college experience.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Interest and experience in field research, working in museums and with museum collections, and in the preparation of scientific specimens.
- Experience working with and interacting with the public, both adults and children.
- Comfortable with non-venomous live reptiles, amphibians, and insects.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and with a team.
- Able to work in a flexible and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to plan ahead, organize and prioritize with an attention to detail.
- Clear communicator both verbally and written.
- Teamwork and community leadership.
Internship compensation is $3,000.00 and the position includes housing (housing on Nantucket can be at least $1000 a month for a room). This position is scheduled from 29 May to 26 August 2017. There is a required orientation and training from 31 May to 7 June 2017. Internship extension is possible through 9 Sept 2017. Interns are responsible for becoming CPR and First Aid trained but the MMA will subsidize the cost of the training course up to $50.
To apply, please download the application and return it along with a your resume, a one page cover letter and unofficial college transcripts to Dr. Emily Goldstein Murphy, Director of Natural Science, Maria Mitchell Association, 4 Vestal Street, Nantucket, MA 02554 no later than 15 February 2017. Materials or inquiries may be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or by fax to 508-228-1031. For questions, call 508- 228-9198.
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.